The following blog post was originally posted here: Jerusalem A Cup Of Trembling…Zechariah 17
The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, saith the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.(Zechariah 12:1-3)
The last chapters of Zechariah have an amazing relevance to the world situation we see unfolding before us today. It is uttered in the name of the Creator God, who literally, “continuously stretches forth the the heavens and continuously lays the foundation of the earth, and who continuously gives man His life and being”.
God, the Creator,will one day make Jerusalem to become a “cup of trembling ” to those nations round about her.
The idea of a cup of trembling is a national judgment administered , which causes the neighboring nations, to reel, to go mad, and to lose the capacity for sound judgment , leading those nations to judgment.
In the hand of the LORD is a cup
full of foaming wine mixed with spices;
he pours it out, and all the wicked of the earth
drink it down to its very dregs. Psalm 75:8
True to this prophecy, the nations of the world are in great turmoil about the so-called “status” of Jerusalem. Though Jerusalem is manifestly the capital of the State of Israel, virtually none of the nations of the world will put an Embassy there, including the USA. They fear inflaming the Moslem near neighbors of Israel.
The recent Obama administration had attempted to make the appeasement of the Muslim world a centerpiece of its foreign policy. Therefore it took an unprecedented US stance toward Israel especially regarding Jerusalem and Judea. See Obama and Judea.
The Donald Trump administration has called for the moving of the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, but the feedback from our “Arab” allies has been immediate and severe. Even the King of Jordan has told Trump they would go to war with us if we were to do this.
The nations are drinking the cup of Trembling. This is the only way I can explain the way that the nations are behaving these days, they have gone mad. God is personally intervening in the affairs of the nations, actually leading them on the path to their own destruction.
In what sane world would a Sweden or a Germany open up their decent, civilized and successful societies to millions of savage immigrants from Africa, and the Middle East? All of these peoples adhere to the religion of Islam and are thus almost completely antithetical to the secular, post Christian, feminized democracies of Western Europe. I believe these national leaders such as Merkel are drinking “the cup of trembling” as a judgment of God.
The nations of Iraq, Tunis, Morocco, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and many other Middle Eastern nations have either thrown off or are engaged in attempting to throw off the secular, pragmatic “muslim” leaders which had ruled their nations with an iron fist, and had held back the forces of Islam. The consequences of this “Arab Spring” have been devastating.
Consider the carnage in just a few recent examples;
*Syria- a nation of 22 million people, consisting of a Muslim majority and yet which had ancient Christian and Jewish communities. Now there are only 11 million people, the rest have swollen refugee camps in Jordan, Turkey and are now flowing into Europe, the USA, Australia, and many other western nations.
The attempt to displace the Assad dynasty in Syria has cost almost a million lives, displaced half the population, and given rise to ISIS and a host of other savage muslim militias and terror groups. As these ‘refugees” stream into the Christian west, they bring the trauma with them, rape , assault, crime, and very few able to do any productive work.
- Iraq- hosted a population of 2 million Chaldeans, a Christian minority which existed from the time of the Bible, which had endured centuries of Caliphs, Dhimminitude, and Sadam Hussein, but has been reduced to two hundred thousand as a result of the displacement of Hussein, the election of a Shiite government and the diminishment of Iraq through western intervention, civil war and Al Queda. From two million to less than two hundred thousand? That is nothing less than Genocide!
- Libya- an oil rich nation, whose leader Muammir Gaddaffi had blood on his hands indeed, but who was so shaken by the US invasion of Iraq, he voluntarily surrendered his Nuclear arsenal to the West and cooperated in the war on terror.
- Under Gaddaffi Libya was the richest nation in Africa, and Gaddaffi ran it to the advantage of the average citizen of Libya,
- Here are some Facts you probably do not know about Libya under Muammar Gaddafi:
• There was no electricity bills in Libya; electricity is free … for all its citizens.
• There was no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at 0% interest by law.
• If a Libyan is unable to find employment after graduation, the state would pay the average salary of the profession as if he or she is employed until employment is found.
• Should Libyans want to take up a farming career, they receive farm land, a house, equipment, seed and livestock to kick start their farms –this was all for free.
• Gaddafi carried out the world’s largest irrigation project, known as the Great Man-Made River project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.
• A home was considered a human right in Libya. (In Qaddafi’s Green Book it states: “The house is a basic need of both the individual and the family, therefore it should not be owned by others.”)
• All newlyweds in Libya would receive 60,000 Dinar (US$ 50,000 ) by the government to buy their first apartment so to help start a family.
• A portion of Libyan oil sales is or was credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
But all of that was destroyed by Western intervention, and even the murder of Gaddaffi, (which resulted in the murder of our ambassador). Libya is now a failed terror state, Islamic gangs rape,murder and steal and only the strong survive in the ruined nation.
One unforeseen consequence was predicted by Gaddaffi, when he was still alive. He warned the west and especially Europe that if they took him out, Libya was the only valid barrier between Europe and hordes of Africans from central and southern Africa. They would swarm into Europe, changing its character forever.
The Cup of Trembling was first administered as a judgment, upon Israel in the closing days before the destruction of the first and also the second Temple. It is frightening to read of the last days of Judah and the madness of the Kings of Judah, who could have prevented the catastrophe, but refused to repent.
Even more scary were the accounts of the last days of the Kingdom of Israel in the days of the Roman Siege, in 70 ad. There were self destructive policies, betrayal, starvation, cannibalism, warring factions within Israel, and utterly mad leadership within the nation, all of this as part of the “Cup of trembling” judgments.
Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, which hast drunk at the hand of the Lord the cup of his fury; thou hast drunken the dregs of the cup of trembling, and wrung them out. There is none to guide her among all the sons whom she hath brought forth; neither is there any that taketh her by the hand of all the sons that she hath brought up. These two things are come unto thee; who shall be sorry for thee? desolation, and destruction, and the famine, and the sword: by whom shall I comfort thee?(Isaiah 51:17-19)
Now in these last days, Zechariah saw that God would administer this cup to these modern nations, enemies of Israel,
Thy sons have fainted, they lie at the head of all the streets, as a wild bull in a net: they are full of the fury of the Lord, the rebuke of thy God. Therefore hear now this, thou afflicted, and drunken, but not with wine: Thus saith thy Lord the Lord, and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold, I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling, even the dregs of the cup of my fury; thou shalt no more drink it again: But I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over: and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over.(Isaiah 51:20-23)